Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rredpenn

Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project

rredpenn
10 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term garottage) on a lot behind our house this summer. It will function as garage space (mainly boat/shed storage) with simple guest quarters above. Our original garottage is pictured above... Haha, it was truly a garROTage, built in 1940, I think. It was torn down last fall. Please don't bother telling me how to fix THAT garottage--IT'S GONE NOW! :) I used it as the dilemma icon to remind me how far we'll get with something "snazzier". :)

To be economical, we're planning on a 2-story structure. The new garottage must meet city code and have more living than garage space--61% living space--but the city is allowing a screened porch to count as living (Yay!) so we want to incorporate that on the structure. We hope to get 2br, 1 bath, a kitchen(ette) and laundry from the living space above, and a large-ish garage space below. This is a summer vacation spot and family/guest overflow space is what we're after!

We're meeting with the city planner and our builder/carpenter this weekend. We have some general ideas from looking at plans online, but have not purchased any yet. We'll know more soon about what we can and can't do after talking to our people here.

I don't have a specific dilemma/question yet, but started the thread to have a spot to be able to do that. I'm sure I'll have TONS of things I'll need opinions about! So, I'd appreciate any feedback as this project moves along! I'm terrible at envisioning things, and more terrible at decorating, so I hope the feedback, suggestions, advice and encouragement will keep me sane and make this a snazzy garottage worthy of the lovely setting it's on. Thank you! :)

Comments (140K)

• ladma
    3 days ago

“ I saw them in the window, and I I just had to have them” or something like that. It was a classic.

• glschisler
    3 days ago

Jay, that’s what I thought too when I saw that picture…😆

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    2 days ago

My Cyster has the entire collection of Carol Burnett shows on DVD... Someday, I mean to borrow them. LOL

• babophz
    2 days ago

I don't know Carol Burnett but the curtain reference made sense to me anyway!

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Yesterday was the milestone day for Lurch.

He got a hold of his iPad, and hit the right button, and CALLED ME, ALL ON HIS OWN.

ROFL

He didn't now how to continue w the connection (there is one more critical button to hit), but on my end, I could hear him breathing, and then he hit another button and it disconnected on his end.

So I texted his mom, and alerted her to the fact that he is now dangerous on the iPad. LOLOL

It was adorable, tho.

And later, we had a scheduled, parentally-approved, playdate on Caribu after dinner. He is really getting adept at manipulating the touch screen (obviously) and was able to choose colors, stickers, move the stickers around, and choose different "actititees" on the pages.

And when it was time to go, he pitched a monumental Terrible Two Tantrum about it. He was having so much fun at "Games wif Mimi!" and didn't wanna stop.

He chose the orange eyeball stickers himself, and dragged them to the Wheel places on the car all by himself! And put the battery there on the hood. ROFL Looks good there!

And then, he finally figured out how to scroll thru the different colors for the drawing tool, and had a blast trying out every single possible color!

I was SO PROUD of him!

• babophz
    2 days ago

Oooh, so cute!

• ladma
    2 days ago

Babo, Carol Burnett is a comedienne, she had a sketch comedy show in the 70’s. One of the classics is the Scarlett OHara one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MFZavCkl9mY

• liasch
    2 days ago

Babo, I never saw that show either. We didn’t have a television when I was growing up and so my USA television viewing was severely limited.

However like you I did understand the curtain reference… L O L. Who thought those robes were a good idea? 🤪

• liasch
    2 days ago

Thanks, Ladma! My entertainment for the day.🤣

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    2 days ago

I think we as a family watched the Gone With the Wind sketch on Carol Burnett's show the first time it aired!

It has withstood the test of time, too. It's still as funny now as it was then.

• fissfiss
    2 days ago

Today, I was mothering…drove to Lexington to drop off a pair of thrifted mid mod mirrors to my eldest.
    Stopped at Mahoney’s in Winchester to pick up a particular plant for TSFP…a Black Lace elderberry.
    Stopped at the NH Liquor Store on the way home…Italian wines 20% off if you buy a case. Which I may or may not have taken advantage of….interstate transport of liquor is fraught with obscure rules.

• ladma
    2 days ago

We opened the pool, it’s a little greener than I hoped, but it should clear up in a few days.

• ladma
    2 days ago

Most of the old Carol Burnett skits still hold up. Harvey Korman and Tim Conway were hilarious, too

• babophz
    yesterday

Turns out I did recognise her face after all. The part where she wore the curtain with the pole still in it made me laugh out loud. And all the tassels, LOL! Thanks for the link, ladma!

• jayapple21
    yesterday

lia, my Dad and Mom never had a lot of money. They bought a piece of property and with the help of a few friends built my childhood house themselves. It didn't even have city utilities at the time - those came a bit later. My Dad had apparently always been interested in electronics, and at one time I think he was studying a course in electronics, but to feed his family he became an auto mechanic when I was little. Post WW II, not a lot of spare $. I can still remember my mother's reaction when, around 1948-49, Daddy came home with a black and white TV. Nobody we knew had one of those yet. It was probably one of the original 'the Devil made me do it' things but this new electronic gadget was more than my Daddy could ignore. My brother and I would catch 'Kukla, Fran, and Ollie' after school and everyone watched shows like 'The Carol Burnette Show' sitting together as a family unit. Somehow Mom and Dad eventually paid for that TV and the marriage held together. 😊

• samoken
    yesterday

In 1950 (or 51) there was a big snowstorm in Springfield Ohio where my sister was born. During that storm my mother and grandmother broke into my grandfather’s piggy bank, walked downtown with the baby, and bought a black and white TV. He had been saving his money for something, he just didn’t know it was that.

• ladma
    yesterday

Jay, my parents built their house, too. , the town owned the land and sold lots to returning vets for $100,

• ladma
    yesterday

They never had a mortgage, and went to the lumber yard each week with their paycheck and bought the supplies they used each weekend. Dad had a friend the was a plumber, and another was an electrician, so that helped! When my sister was born, the inside was finished enough for them to move in. She was born in January, dad wanted to buy my mom a celebratory present. She asked for a TV, thinking it would be good to have in the middle of a NE winter with a new baby. They had that TV until we bought them a colored tv for their 25th wedding anniversary in 1973

• jayapple21
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Before colored TVs became common - and affordable - I recall my Dad buying this plastic-like sheet that you attached OVER the black and white TV screen. The sheet was already colored with green at the bottom, blue at the top, and I think a reddish-brown in the center. It was supposed to show blue skies, brownish land/buildings, and green grass. As I recall, it was awful. And it probably didn't stay attached to the TV for long... 🙄

OMG! I found some photos...

• liasch
    yesterday

Omg Jay… I sent those photos off to my two sons. Who have literally an entire wall of their living room covered with the television set.

• glschisler
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

My parents were the first on the street to own a tv in the late 40’s. Mom always watched Arthur Godfrey. I learned how to do the hula at age 3 watching his show. We bought my dad a color Zenith tv one year for Christmas. I brought from the store to my condo. Then brother #2 had a family van it could fit into easily. They picked it up Christmas morning on the way to my parents, and I followed them in my car. After everyone opened their gifts, my 4 brothers all went to the van to haul it up the stairs to their living room. They lived in a split foyer home. ( or raised ranch.) We told my dad to unwrap it. It was the first time I ever saw my dad speechless and overwhelmed! It was the best gift and surprise!😀

• glschisler
    yesterday

One of the neighbors I babysat for said, “ L, we have a color tv for you to watch tonight.” It was the screen plastic overlays. I burst out laughing!🙄

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    yesterday

ROFL Look at Leonard Nimoy's and Shatner's almost lifelike skin tones vs. that of "Bones," the good Dr. McCoy (DeForest Kelley). He looks as if he's seen a ghost!

That is hilarious Jay! I am gonna screen shot that for old time's sake!

• marjie1059
    21 hours ago

No TV as a child, though one grandpa watched the Chicago Cubs on his TV, so we might see it occasionally. Never heard of Carol Burnett till I was an adult. Didn't have a TV when our kids were growing up - at least not to watch TV. We watched movies on it.

Garden nu

• babophz
    17 hours ago

Very entertaining read this morning, love all the tv stories! And MrBab and I had a good laugh about the "colour screen".

Who was it that recommended the Maeve Carrigan detective stories? Was it julia? They are such a joy to read, well written, interesting and funny to boot.

Where is julia, btw? Haven't seen her for a while. I don't recall a holiday coming up, hope everything is alright.

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    11 hours ago

Last I remember, J was heading back to MN, with a few weeks' layover at her son's/daughter's homes... bc they are both "on the way" northwards. I'm sure she is fine and having a fab time with her kids.

I have been pecking away at my yard here at the lake. We were (well, I WAS) lucky to score a couple of starts of "flame grass" at my local nursery here. I wanted it last year, and they had sold out, and the year before, I could have kicked myself for not buying it when I saw it.

Anyhow.

I dug out the lawn grass around the area, and put the flame grass (which is a type of miscanthus, a warm season grass) in front of the Karl Foerster feather reed grass (which are a cool season grass). What I am hoping for is for either or both of them to help disguise that stupid trio of utility boxes, here along our road.

It's not perfect, but it will hopefully look a bit more intentional, and maybe the mulch will discourage peoples' dogs from using that place as a pit stop so much. The middle Karl Foerster clump is doing great bc it gets the least amount of dog pee sprayed upon it... but I think the outside clumps will recover and do fine... and the flame grass towards the house side might provide a bit more coverage once it gets established. Also, now the lawn boy (aka Otherhalf) won't weed eat the grass I've been trying to encourage there. D'oh!

One can hope, anyhow. LOL

I am not allowed to plant shrubs right over the lines, so I figured "grass" of any sort would kind of blend in better and not be a big deal if the utility co's ever need to work on that area.

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    11 hours ago

Yeah, that is THE SPOT that Guffy has to go check out immediately when we arrive here. Every dog on the road has to pee, RIGHT there. It's sort of infuriating. LOL

I put some starts of my mom's wild black eyed susans in there too, between the KFgrasses last year, and they came back this spring, so, crossing fingers that too will "take"... They get pretty tall too, if they have a chance, and spread like the dickens once they get going.

• stryker
    11 hours ago

I need some houseplant advice. I recently changed the soil for three of my plants with Miracle Grow potting mix. It had many years. The plants had been doing ok but not exactly thriving. After I changed their dirt, two of the three immediately became very sad. One of the poor things is Spike. Remember Spike? Very droopy now and dropping leaves like mad. The other is turning yellow. What should I do?

• glschisler
    11 hours ago

I have no advice, but maybe the shock of new soil causing them to adjust. I think it will be ok in time. Just water them in the same routine as before.

• jayapple21
    6 hours ago

How to get rid of mosquitoes...

• fissfiss
    5 hours ago

Spike almost looks like he got frosted….and sometimes tropical plants suffer such damage at water temps than frost. Think of basil…the leaves blacken just in the fridge. The schleffera looks fine….just the oldest leaves are affected. Maybe a shock with transplant, or an oops I forgot to water….

• fissfiss
    5 hours ago

That should be higher temps than frost! No idea where “water” came from. We have been fading around the coast of Maine, away for two nights in Brunswick. Two restaurants we wanted to try up here. We went to the Maine Maritime Museum, it has expanded quite a bit since we last saw it in 1995! Bought some art, poked around an antiques mall!

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    4 hours ago

Stryker, I remember Spike! Yellowing leaves can mean too much water/lack of fertilizer, too... just to throw a wrench into the discussion. You can pluck/prune off the yellowed leaves, they are not doing the plant any good at this point. What worries me is the yellow spots on the green leaves. Iron deficiencies or infection/pest of some kind? Lack of enough light? Winter blahs?

It will likely bounce back with its new potting soil, a watering system where you test before you water (just use a chopstick... if after you probe all the way thru the roots it comes up dry, it's needing a drink). Let it dry out between waterings, then soak it well when you do. Or, maybe it just needs a summer vacation outside where it gets greater light, some humidity and good ventilating breezes?

The Spike Plant is doing what it does. They get taller and taller, and gangly with age. His leaves look a bit droopy against the "trunk"... maybe it's time to do the "drastic pruning" to him? I've been thinking about doing that to mine... "Lurch" the plant is about driving me bonkers these days. As long as the roots are healthy, cutting it along the stem will yield, slowly, two new shoots at each cut. It takes a strong stomach to do that to a houseplant you've had forever, but sometimes, that is the best option to save/rejuvenate a plant.

• liasch
    3 hours ago

Spike looks like my plan does when I don’t water it. I’m going with root shock here. Sometimes dry potting soil doesn’t distribute water very well. However the yellow one looks like a mineral deficiency to me. How long have they been in these pots with the new soil? I hate to say it but it looks to me like there’s something wrong with the dirt.

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    3 hours ago
    last modified: 3 hours ago

OK, that inspired me.

I have here "The Siamese twins".... corn dracaenas I got for cheep at Cost co.

One of them is sick, so I'll attempt to do the "deed."

The taller one with the stem rot (can you see it?) I cut back to a healthier part of the "trunk," pulled them both out of the planter, and inspected both for root rot. None present on either. "Fluffy" went back into her original pot, with all new soil, and "Stumpy" found a new planter just right for his roots. He is now gonna live on the kitchen counter until something happens, or until I can't stand looking at him. ROFL

Ugh. LOL

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    3 hours ago

My mom, and my outlaw SIL both, have been successful at this advanced indoor gardening technique on their dracaenas, but I have not honestly tried it before.

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    3 hours ago

I read that it takes a good while for the plant to respond. Great... LOL

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    3 hours ago

My spike plant, aka "Lurch The Plant, Not the Grandson", is still growing taller. I think it was about a foot tall when I rescued him from Cyster's move to Temeculah, about 15 years ago. Now he is a good 4' tall, with a new spiral of leaves forming there... his new growth looks rather phalli c, imo. ROFL

If "Stumpy" in the kitchen revives, I'll do the same to LurchThePlant...

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    3 hours ago
    last modified: 2 hours ago

I should prob at least repot LurchThePlant too... his dries out so fast... I think Lia is right about the potting soil. After a while, the potting mixes tend to lose their ability to hold any moisture at all.

I got that moisture control potting soil by MGro. It's supposed to hold just enough moisture but lets excess leach out at the right amount. When I water, I REALLY soak them, and catch the drips in the sink or saucers so they really get good and wet. LurchThePlant practically pees the entire watering out right away... and dries out faster than he used to.

• stryker
    2 hours ago

The weird thing is that it happened to both of them immediately after I repotted them with Miracle Grow potting mix. I think I used part of this same bag to refresh my geraniums last year. They loved it. But it seems to be burning Spike and the other.

• liasch
    2 hours ago

Stryker, The first thing I would do is re-pot them with different soil and a different brand. It seems very suspicious to me that both plants would be close to croaking after potting them with that soil.

• liasch
    2 hours ago

Meanwhile I have an invasion of mice here. Please refresh my memory on these tick tubes that you were talking about? You can post on my thread if you would prefer… I’m getting concerned that I’ve got a tick vector happening here. I’ve been extremely fortunate with minimal ticks on my property. I’d like to keep it that way. What’s the name of the chemical and exactly what do you do again?

• kcooz07
    1 hour ago

rred, if stumpy does sprout, it will be right below the cut. It looks tall in the picture, but could just be the picture?

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    1 hour ago

We shall see if Stumpy does anything... I'm not optimistic really, but what the hey.

The tick tubes are right here... hang on and I'll show you how I made them.

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    1 hour ago

I got a can of permethrin meant to treat clothing, gear and tents. I have a ton of pillow fluff, so I laid it all out in a flat pizza box and soaked down the batting on both sides with the spray, let it dry and then stuffed it into these old TP tubes, and spiked our woodpiles with them... the wood is under tarps, and is a favorite nesting spot for the mice.

We shall see how it works. I will make more tubes as summer goes on, and replace the old ones with fresh ones. Hoping by next spring, the tick population is reduced.

Otherhalf is nursing a new case of Lyme type bacterial infection. He's on day what? of his course of doxy, and feels just fine. His angry bite mark (which looked like a big zit) is gone, completely, and he never had the lymph node swelling he had last time, so doc thinks he's gonna be fine. Again...

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    59 minutes ago
    last modified: 30 minutes ago

OH! haha While I have my phone out...

Here was something we saw today on the drive.

Honestly, I don't know how to feel about this.

In fact, I was so appalled that I didn't get a straight shot of her this time.

I wonder what the kiddies on the school bus think, every morning? SMH

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    57 minutes ago

A straightened up zoom in... ROFL

If only I looked that good all loosey goosey like that! LOLOL

• btydrvn
    52 minutes ago

If this is what they do in the front yard🙈wonder what they have out back🤷🏻‍♀️

• fissfiss
    51 minutes ago

I did not realize a nekkid mannequin was quite so…..realistically not perky anymore. Must date from the era before implants were so common!

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    31 minutes ago

She looks much better with her 4th of July bikini top on. That's for sure...

I wish he'd give her some new hair too, but that may be asking too much of the guy...

We saw him sitting out there with her last time. He's a trolly-looking old man, with a long beard and he's not much of a smiler. Not a waver, either. I always wave to him if I see him outside.

I figure, it's the least I can do for all these years I've been photographing his "lady."